Wednesday, September 20, 2006

If we are the Body....

The other day, I had the oppurtunity to talk with a girl in one of my classes about Jesus. She is not a Christian, and she told me she had never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ. As we were talking, she told me that once she graduated and got married and settled down she'd do the "whole God thing". Wow. Another thing she told me is what this title is about. She told me that she went to a church with her mom one time, (not sure if it was for a funeral or what), but she said that when they walked in, she felt like such an outsider, and no one came to make them feel welcome. Casting Crowns sings a song that says:
If WE are the BODY, why aren't HIS arms reaching? why aren't HIS hands healing? why aren't HIS words teaching? If WE are the BODY, WHY aren't his feet going? Why is HIS love not showing them there is a way? Jesus paid much to high a price for us to pick and choose who should come, and we are the Body of Christ.
Talking with her definitely made me think about what my actions when it comes to making others feel welcome. And this is where JOY comes in. This weekend, I went to a baptism in West Lafayette, and I heard about JOY for the first time.
J - Jesus
O - Others
Y - You
Serve Jesus first, and then others, and last, yourself. You might not always feel comfortable approaching someone and making them feel welcome, but in the long run, you could change their complete outlook on what a Born-again believer is truly supposed to be like. Have a happy day!

3 comments:

Anon said...

Chel, for assistance in future such conversations, I suggest you read a book called Share Jesus Without Fear, by William Fay. It helps you deal with responses like she gave you. :)

One of the things I miss, being off campus and employed where I am, is the opportunity to talk about Christ with people who are not Christians and were not raised in Christian homes. I'm excited to see you're taking advantage of such opportunities!!

Anon said...

oh, and I agree too, with that song and your point to be welcoming and to consider how my actions reflect on "born-again believers"

Anonymous said...

hey Chel... what a great reminder that every day God gives us the chance to talk with others about Him... and how those relationships can truly blossom in His name... thanks, love...