Friday, June 23, 2006

I lift my eyes up to the hills...

Last night, when I got home from Iowa, I got to catch up with my roommate Lin about a lot of different stuff that is going on with both of us, like Struggles & joys. We had a nice long talk about putting our trust in God because he's the only one who can get us through EVERYTHING that we go through. A lot of this convo was stimulated by Alan's loss of his dad, and some of it came from just the stuff we are going through. Not only did we talk about the complete trust we need in God, but it also came out that if we do not lift our eyes up to Jesus all the time, then Satan can sneak in and take over without us even realizing until we finally focus on Jesus again. I don't know if anyone has heard this before, but Lin shared this with me and I thought it was incredible. When you hear Satan knocking on the door, say "Jesus, will you get that for me?" Because when we let Jesus take care of Satan, we will have a lot less problems.
On Tuesday night, I went to Wichita to meet my mom to switch vehicles and because I had an orthodontist appt. on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. I stayed the night with my great-aunt Ann Greiner. We talked for a long time and right before bed, she pulled out her "laughing box". This box contains little clips and stories that make her laugh, "Even though she's by herself" (as she told me through laughter) There were some very good quotes that I had to write down. The one that stuck out the most said:
Safety is not the absence of Danger,
but the presence of God.
And then on a lighter note there was another that said:
Patience is a virtue,
capture it if you can.
Seldom achieved by women,
Never by a man.
I got quite tickled. Not only at the quote, but at the reaction from Grandma Greiner! :) She has the cutest laugh. It is very infectious. This last quote that I am going to type is also a good one, it wasn't really funny or really serious, but it has a good meaning:
Pray to God for humility, but never thank him that you have attained it.
Hope everyone has a great weekend and remember to lift your eyes up to Jesus!
Psalm 121:1-2
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

3 comments:

ema said...

All of the quotes are really good but I especially love the second one:)

megs said...

yeah... me too!! so true!!!

Anonymous said...

Grandma Greiner... what a blessing! Thanks be to God that we have had her guidance (as well as a host of other elderly people) in our lives... and her laughter to remind us of the joy that life can hold!