Week 1: The Initiation
On Saturday, the 16th, I moved into Aunt Em's. On Monday morning, bright and early, I started my first day of clinicals at Susan B. Allen Memorial Hospital. My Clinical Instructor had told me to be there at 7:45 that first day so we could get to the computer/ hospital orientation for new employees and students. So I showed up at 7:45, and checked in with the ladies at the volunteer services department. I waited for about 10 minutes and decided that I had probably been forgotten. Indeed, my childhood nickname of "chelsie forgot", once again came to the fore. I was retrieved from the waiting area by Tina, a fellow PTA. When my CI showed up, she looked at me, blinked a couple times, then said, "O DANG IT! and I had such high hopes of showing up early on your first day."
To say the least, I was put at ease from the first moment. :) Since then, I have felt very at home in the hospital. I'm still working on being the one to initiate treatment and to get out of the background.
Anyway, the reason this is entitled "the initiation" is as follows:
I accompanied Becky, my CI, and Tina, the PTA into Mr. Smith's (aka, HIPPAA stipulations) room. I stood on the opposite side of the bed that they were trying to get him up on and by chance decided I would put gloves on, JUST in case. Sometimes, I pride myself on being able to detect a Code brown upon entrance into a room, but as a newby, I didn't want to be out of line, but to just see how they handled it. Well, let's just say those gloves I put on were well used. Mr. Smith stood up and low and behold, the drawsheet went with him. Hope that's not too graphic for anyone. :)
After we EVENTUALLY exited the room, Becky looked at me, and said, "Wow, I think you might be comfortable in a hospital setting, cause I'm pretty sure some of my other students would have run away!" It was one of those moments when I felt really cool, (which doesn't happen often), until I remembered my sister tifani's statement... "I don't know why you would want a job where you have to wipe people's butts!" And my "coolness" came crashing down.
O well, at least I have been initiated.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Coming from a guy who's peeled off his share of soiled drawsheets: Congrats on the initiation!
Keeping your kewl in that situation is the epitome of "coolness" :)
HA! Somehow you missed telling me that this weekend! So disappointed
lol... I had forgotten the "code brown" terminology... thanks for bringing it back to mind!
Glad all is going well... con muchisimo amor
Jim, no matter how many times I read that word, and how many times I KNOW how to properly say it, the first thing that comes into my mind is epi-tome. :)
Tif, I can't believe I forgot... I guess since it is so out of the blue that I would tell something like that, it just slipped my mind.
Steph, I found out a new code word too, but it's not appropriate for this blog. Want to know? call me. ;)
Post a Comment